Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Melbourne Cup 2012

The media calls it the "Race that stops a Nation". I knew it was popular but really had no idea what to expect things to be like in the city. Last year I was off of work and watched the race from Hogs Breath Cafe with David and his parents. We saw a few people dressed up but nothing like I saw in the CBD today! 

At the start of my day I was greeted at the elevator by my co-workers who were headed to the TAB (bookie) to place their bets on the big race. Then it was back to the office for a little bit of work before we had a catered lunch and afternoon drinks. The race was broadcast in all the conference rooms so everyone that was not attending an off-site party at a local pub could watch.  


My team was rather subdue compared to most of the people in the CBD. There were large parties in the nearby restaurants with lunch and drink specials. Everywhere you looked you saw people dressed in stylish outfits complete with fancy hats or facanitors!

Two of the girls on my team, Leanne and Brie, off to party with a supplier.

Now that I know what to expect and just need to plan ahead for next year!




No comments:

Post a Comment